Friday 11 February 2011

Billy ten years on

Hey, I've been thinking about you man, really quite a lot,
Wondering if you jumped out of the fire, back into the pot!
I watched them tear down a bit of my own private hell,
Didn't feel like I thought I would, not the way you would tell!

They tore a little part of your hell down too, you know,
Must have torn you up inside, no sparks, no orange glow!
I know how much you needed to see that place burn,
Let some of the scars inside and out, finally see the sun!

You dropped off the radar back in Two Thousand and Two,
I've wondered for years what the hell happened to you!
Your dad told you everything you did was stupid and wrong,
He was just a sad old git though looking in a mirror too long!

Wasn't sober long enough to look after himself never mind a son,
That monster was a lot of things Billy but a father was never one!
Dad's never brand their kids face with the buckles of belts,
Just as bad as the teachers who sent you home with those welts!

Then there was the track on which our nightmares both crashed,
My train of dark secrets getting me high, drinking to get smashed!
Your train of horrors so bad it needed to pick up some very high speed,
My train didn't run much when we met, yours? driven by pure need!

I miss our coal fireside nights they were cosy, safe and new,
That's a very exclusive club your in but that you already knew!
It's so strange that we know so much about each others pain,
Yet I never once asked you Billy, what was your last name?

I can't even remember who brought you to my party that night,
Only that you had a bottle of Mad Dog and weed so you were alright!
The rooms filled up, passed out mates like Alana and giant celtic teddy,
I started filling the black bags with cans, you cleaned the fire and got it ready!

Well gone five when we turfed the last Bernie and his bird out the door,
He'd his own place for what they wanted, across the road in the block of four!
Finally we both sat, lit the fire and thats when you started to really talk,
I just listened staring at the flames, the scars on your face, they started to talk!

I have hoped your life has changed for the better over the years,
That maybe the old sod had died and you were finally able to bury your fears!
You would have buried him too as to you he wasn't worth a single flame,
All that he did to you and still he made you think you were the one to blame!

You said you would take him in to the burning fires of hell and make him pay,
Some how though I don't think in your case mate that it gets to work that way!
Oh he will burn in hell all right for the rest of time for what he did to you,
Billy you won't get into hell. You get a room nearby with no more pain just a great fireside view!

No comments:

Post a Comment